Sunday, July 9, 2017

Medical Emergencies in the air

Sometimes on flights medical emergencies happen. Thankfully there are almost always doctors, nurses , EMTs ... on board. On my last flight we had an older gentleman from China and his wife on board. About 2 hours into our 5 hour flight the wife starts ringing the call button and frantically shaking her husband. I approach and ask if he is ok? He says he is but she says he is not. The language barrier is huge and trying to figure out what exactly is happening is not easy! After accessing him and getting another flight attendant who happens to also be a nurse! She starts treating him and I move the wife who is now having a panic attack, can't breathe is hitting her chest and almost passes out. Bottom line she is worried about her husband! We talk and I get her to calm down and breathe. After a few minutes she is now hugging me and crying. She mentioned God in broken English so I asked if she would like to pray with me? She said yes so while she was hugging me I began to pray. It was a sweet moment! My flying partner was amazing on the medical end and if you need a hug or to pray or cry I am your girl! It was determined by a doctor onboard who stepped up to help that he could make it all the way to our destination. We kept the oxygen flowing and watched them closely for the rest of the night. Paramedics met us at the gate and whisked them away. I am always so thankful for the people and tools we have onboard. I can tell you it made the time fly by! Usually we get sleepy on the allnighters but we never even had a chance to sit down! When I am in my blue polyester you never know what the day will bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment